Friday, May 14, 2010

Vegan TVP Sloppy Joe's

When I saw The Farm's sloppy joe recipe, I was intrigued. I'm not sure if it was because it was vegan... or because they were using this thing called TVP.

TVP stands for Textured Vegetable Protein. It's made from defatted soy flour. The oil has been sucked out of it, leaving protein and carbohydrate. It's then cooked under pressure, pressure through hole, then cut in to liiiiiiittle chunks. It comes in packs and it looks like dry bread crumbs. You add one cup of dry TVP to 7/8 cups boiling water, then let sit for 5-10 minutes. In this recipe however, you add it dry because it absorbs all the juices and flavors of the sauce.

The possibilities for TVP are endless! Spaghetti, 'meat'balls, taco/tortilla filling, chili, lasagna... and of course... what has brought us here today MF SLOPPY JOE'S. *pose*

So the recipe is as follows:

Saute 1 lrg. onion (diced) and two med. green peppers (diced) in 3 Tbsp. oil.

Then to it add:

1 1/2 c. boiling water (this is for the TVP basically)
2 1/2 c. tomato sauce
1-2 Tbsp. chili pepper (I left this out because of my daughter, she's 4)
2-3 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. soy sauce (I used Tamari)
1 Tbsp. mustard (I used grain dijon mustard)
2 Tbsp. sugar (I used Turbinado Sugar, yum!)
a pinch 'o' pepper
1 1/2 cups of DRY TVP

*Now, when I put it all together, I knew right away something was missing. I've been a lover of Sloppy Joe's for 27 years and my nose picked it up right away! I grabbed some organic ketchup from the fridge and added about 1/2 c. to the sauce. PERFECT!! It tied it all together.

Simmer for 20 minutes then serve on hot buns! :D

I served mine on some Dave's Killer Bread (I didn't have buns) .


Man, these were perfect. This is one that I definitely could see serving to people and they would have NO IDEA that they contained NO MEAT aaaaand! are vegan :D

Enjoy this one, people. From The Farm, to me, to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment