Saturday, May 15, 2010

Crunk Ma PB Cookies

This morning Violet and I were up bright and early. After breakfast we were ready to get down to some serious cookie making. I had seen a recipe for vanilla vegan cookies in my The Farm Vegetarian Cookbook and they seemed like they would be yummy!

....Well I don't know what the hell happened. They just didn't 'wow' me. Once we got them out of the oven and cooled them, they were these flat, thin disks (I'm talking like 3 sheets of paper thin). *insert sad face*

I was on a mission. I was going to make DELICIOUS vegan cookies today and I wanted them to be soft & chewy, and this time around I wanted peanut butter!! *stamps foot*

I've had this PB cookie recipe for a while and it makes those softy & chewy pb cookies I love. I wondered if it would be just as amazing using soy milk and egg replacer. People, the answer is a thousand times YES!

Here is the recipe:

3/4 c. chunky peanut butter
1/2 stick or c. of all-vegetable shortening
1 1/4 c. firmly packed brown sugar
3 Tbsp. soy milk (I used unsweetened and they still turned out great)
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
Follow the instructions on your egg replacer to make the equivalent of 1 egg!
1 3/4 c. flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
Turbinado sugar for sprinklin'


Preheat your oven to 375 deg.

Combine PB, shortening, brown sugar, soy milk, and vanilla in a large bowl. With an electric mixer beat at medium speed (if you are a hardcore baker and do it by hand, hats off) until well blended. Add your 'egg', then in a separate bowl combine your sugar, baking soda, and salt. Then while mixing on a low speed, slowly add your dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and mix until blended.

Drop large rounded tablespoons of dough on a greased cookie sheet, giving them about 2-in space between each ball. Make a criss-cross pattern on the ball, pressing down with a fork. Sprinkle a small amount of your turbinado sugar on the top of your cookies and put in the oven for 7-8 minutes! Cookies should cool 2 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to cooling racks.





BAM! These lil' guys right here made up for the vanilla cookie disappointment. BIG TIME. Our batch made a little over two dozen. Enjoy this one!!

P.S.!!!! So I noticed in the picture that there is a stick of butter in the background. Don't worry, none of it went in the cookies. It's still sitting there since my official transition into veganism (which was the beginning of this month). I haven't had the heart to just throw it out, it seems like such a waste! I packed up all my non-vegan stuff and am giving it to a friend of mine. This just hasn't found a home yet..

No comments:

Post a Comment